Sunday, July 22, 2012

Paint it Black, Part II ... And a Sad Farewell

This weekend, the insomniac  was eagerly anticipating a special day at Lauren Lane Decor, trying out a new brand of chalk paint that Tara Jamieson, the owner of Lauren Lane, was planning on carrying in her store. On Wednesday last, an inconceivable update to the Lauren Lane Facebook Page was issued: It is with great sadness and heavy hearts to say that on Sunday, July 8, Tara Jamieson, founder of Lauren Lane Decor, passed away in a tragic accident.

Tragic and  heartbreaking ... here was a thirty-year old girl who had taken the plunge that some of us only ever dream of - she had started a business doing something she loved, and was doing well at it.

Two short months ago, she wrote in her blog about New Beginnings:


I have been at this furniture stuff for a while now. I opened my studio
last fall and things have been falling into place one piece at a time.
I burnt the candle at both ends for a long time and didn't actually leave
my "old job" until January and these past few months have been a
really big transition for me. I worked in an office for 10 years
getting up at 5:30 am - spending hours in traffic or on public transit
every day, staring at a computer all day and making sure I met
deadlines and dealing with more paperwork than I can even
fathom now. I was good at what I did so I thought that I loved it.
I was fooled!

Right now, after spending these past few months doing what I love
to do all day long I am IN LOVE with what I do. I work 7 days
a week and longer hours than I ever did before. My to do list is
longer than it ever has been and that's just fine with me.
I don't mind paying that price right now to make my dreams
into a reality. I go to bed at night excited for what the next day
will bring - rather than struggling through the week and
wishing for a weekend. I have made alot of sacrifices and taken
alot of risks these past few months but one thing I don't have
is regret. If something happened to me tomorrow -
I would be ok because I'm the girl that WENT for it!

A poignant reminder to us all. None of us can ever know what plans Providence has for our lives. It is never too late to follow our dreams and be the person who WENT for it, so that we, as well, will have no regrets.

And so this post is for Tara, with gratitude for sharing your boundless enthusiasm, artistry and knowledge with those of us fortunate enough to have learned from you. 

Medicine Chest - Before

Annie Sloan Graphite and Emperor's Silk Chalk Paint
Centre Panel shown Unwaxed

Stencil for Centre Panel
Same Stencil used for the Attic Walls
(and obviously not properly cleaned afterwards!)

Stencilling in Progress

Finished Stencil - Centre Panel still Unwaxed

Entire Door Waxed with Two Coats of Annie Sloan Dark Wax

Completed Medicine Chest

Until next time, the insomniac  wishes you nights of blissful sleep filled with pleasant dreams ... and no regrets. Goodnight, my pretties.

IA

6 comments:

  1. ...♥...
    Wow Wow Wow...A beautiful tribute
    looks gorgeous
    blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insomniac  has a tendency to sound rather snarky when writing this blog (or posting comments on other blogs), and often times when rereading her words realizes how bad those comments sound when she really didn't mean them that way. So she was quite concerned when writing this post that somehow it would come off the wrong way - again. She is quite relieved to hear you say that it was a nice tribute, because that is exactly how it was meant ... thank you.

      Delete
  2. That is so sad. You wrote this well. It reminds us that we should follow our dreams, and try to live as we are and do what makes us happy, cause we never know what the future holds. At the moment, I am slogging through the last semester of uni so I can have my degree, and it's the thought of that future, with a real job (hopefully without some of the insane bosses I have suffered in the past) and hopefully having time to write, that keeps me going. I need to do what I love! It also reminds me f**k people who don't like me for who I am, I am unique and being myself makes me happy, and that I shouldn't change for them. Weird Neo-Victorian forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The insomniac  is quite fond of Weird Neo-Victorians! Here's to you, Laura! Never change ... :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The panel is the insomniac's  favourite part, too! ;o)

      Delete