Sunday, August 19, 2012

Embracing the Insomnia ...

Well, the insomniac  definitely lived up to her nickname this week, waking up in the wee hours far too many times to allow for anything remotely resembling a productive work week. And while she relishes her early morning “quiet-times” when not employed, it isn't nearly half as much fun getting up at 2:00 a.m. and heading back to bed at 5:00, when one is quite aware the alarm is set to go off in thirty minutes ...

The Week Without Sleep
A Short Story with Visual Aids

Monday Morning, 5:30 a.m.

How did you sleep, dear?

Not great.
I'll drink lots of that vile coffee at work to stay awake.
I'll be fine.

Monday Evening

How was your day, dear?

Not great.
I think I'll have a little nightcap to help me fall asleep.
I'll be fine.

Tuesday Morning, 5:30 a.m.

Dear, it's 5:30. Time to get up.
Dear ... DEAR? YOU NEED TO WAKE UP NOW!

Tuesday Evening

Maybe a slightly larger nightcap tonight ...

Wednesday Morning, 5:30 a.m.

Sweet Elusive Sleep!
O, that way madness lies ...

Wednesday Evening

I swear, if I don't get a decent sleep tonight,
I will Just Die ...

Thursday Morning, 5:30 a.m.

How can I possibly  be expected to go to work
with these dreadful bags under my eyes!

Thursday Evening

I better get a full eight hours tonight, or someone Will Suffer!
Most likely me.

Friday Morning, 5:30 a.m.

Is it Friday yet?

Friday Noon

I think I'll catch up on a little reading during lunch ...  ZZZzzzzzz......

Friday Evening, 5:30 p.m.

Whatever you want to watch on TV is fine with ... ZZZzzzzzz......

The Long Suffering Spouse, 5:35 p.m.

Thank Heaven, she's finally  asleep!
I don't think I can live through another thirty years of this ...

Until next time, the insomniac  wishes you nights of blissful sleep filled with pleasant dreams. Goodnight, my pretties ... ZZZzzzzzz......

IA

7 comments:

  1. I suffer from insomia too. No where on your level. I have night sweats then after they are done and I am finally nice and comfy I have to pee. My mother has always suffered from it more on the same level as you and she takes xanax at night now and she likes that better then anything else she has tried

    ReplyDelete
  2. One assumed the insomnia was “mid-life” related and would eventually disappear, but after seven years, perhaps it's become a permanent condition? Should one actually get Full Time work in the near future, one will definitely keep the Xanax in mind! Thanks for the tip!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked 3rd shift for a whole year once and I use to take melatonin its suppose to help you sleep. Now when I remember, I take valerian root. I am not sure if it works since I forget to do it half the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I think about it, did you ever think of working 3rd shift. Even though I have insomnia occasionally, I could sleep during the day? Go figure? If I didn't still have a kid at home, I would think about doing it. It has some benefits. No bosses, when you run errands in the morning no crowds, night bonus pay, that might be it. You never get use to going to bed early on Sundays. The only thing worse then Monday mornings is going in Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, right now one is doing office contract work and the only shifts available are days. Third shift sounds awesome - especially the part about no crowds when running errands!

    This week, a friend recommended something called “Mental Calmness” that quiets your mind so that one is able to sleep through the night. So far though, haven't worked up the courage to take any ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know insomnia isn't funny, but your post actually made me LOL at work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! That was exactly the reaction the insomniac  was hoping for!! And honestly, if you can't laugh about being a Complete Zombie at work from lack of sleep, then what's the point of life, really ... ;o)

    ReplyDelete