Sunday, February 3, 2013

Very Inspiring Blogger Award ... Wait, There Must be Some Mistake

Participating in theme posts and blogger awards is not something the insomniac  feels especially comfortable doing, so when Aristocratic Elegance nominated her for this award, she inquired of AE whether it would be acceptable to decline. And when Lesthi nominated her, she thought to herself, “We'll just pretend we didn't see that.” But when chosen for the third time by Madame Mari Mortem, she decided it would be very bad manners to continue avoiding the situation. So thanks to all you lovely ladies for choosing the insomniac  but, and please know this is said with the utmost good will, if you find her  inspiring, you may want to consider setting the bar a little higher next time.


In accepting this award, one is required to reveal five odd facts about themselves. There are so very many odd things about the insomniac  it was a challenge trying to limit it to merely five. Besides (and you could almost consider this a bonus fact), the insomniac  doesn't care for the number five and so increased her list to six. And although her preference really would have been to list thirteen (because that IS her special lucky number) she felt if that many unusual things were divulged, you would no longer be thinking, “Oh, how delightfully quirky that insomniac  is!” and would instead be saying, “Wow, that poor woman could really use some professional help.”

  1. The insomniac  really is an insomniac. While some weeks are worse than others, more often than not she wakes up around 2:00 a.m. no matter what time she goes to sleep, stays up until around 6:00 then heads back to bed for a few more hours of shut-eye. As she doesn't like taking medicine, the insomnia has become part of her regular routine and really doesn't bother her anymore. Except for the past year of working office contract jobs when the alarm was set for 5:30 a.m. That was difficult.

  2. Practically everything moves the insomniac  to tears - beautiful music, a piece of art, a thoughtful gesture, certain long distance phone commercials - it's quite embarrassing, really. It was a regular sob fest when the offspring were small and we watched Disney movies all the time.

  3. Even though the insomniac  swears like a sailor, she doesn't care for foul language in written form. She will refrain from reading a book or blog if there's swearing - unless it's humorous, which somehow makes it okay. Verbal profanity is perfectly acceptable. Except in public places.

  4. She is a stickler for the truth. Therefore, everything you read in this blog is true - some things might be slightly downplayed and some slightly exaggerated, but they are always based on truth. If she jokes about being a hoarder, it's because she is. If she casually mentions she might have a small eBay addiction, it's because she does. If she said last week she took 33 books to the second-hand bookstore, rest assured she counted them first.

  5. Many social situations strike absolute terror into the insomniac's  heart. Things such as meeting friends but having to walk into the restaurant or bar by herself to find them, attending a party where there will be people she doesn't know, public speaking (public being defined as a gathering of more than three people) - these and countless other situations can cause many sleepless nights. In the past, she has been known to go to the washroom during a party and then been too frightened to come out, remaining in there for hours until after everyone has left. And it's not like that was a one-time occurrence, either. Despite her social anxieties, she loves working retail and talking to total strangers. Go figure.

  6. And lastly, the insomniac  detests having her picture taken, and since she generally controls the camera is almost always able to delete photos of herself before anyone else gets a chance to see them. And one day, when the offspring are reminiscing, they will say to one another, “I can't remember what our Sainted Mother looked like, can you? There aren't very many pictures of her. I seem to recall she was very VERY pretty though.”

Number 6 might actually be one of the insomniac's  more useful idiosyncrasies ...

Until next time, the insomniac  wishes you nights of blissful sleep filled with pleasant dreams ... as for herself, most likely lying wide awake tonight worrying whether she's managed to unintentionally miss somebody else who may have nominated her for something. Goodnight, my pretties.

IA


PostScript: Laura, thank you for recently selecting the insomniac  as a recipient for the Gargie Award. She still feels terrible about that time she asked to be excused when you tagged her for the Liebster Award. Although in her defense, that award was complicated!

39 comments:

  1. Oh, Insomniac! Me too, me too and me too. Stickler for the truth - check. Insomniac - check (but I do take pills, cause I can't stand not sleeping). Ok to talk to strangers through my retailing job, but social issues about friends, parties and groups of acquaintances - check. Hate having my picture taken - check.
    And I do get professional help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Misantropia! Do you think there's a possibility we were twins, separated at birth? Do you also cry at the drop of a hat, and how do you feel about cursing? ;o)

      The insomniac  did get professional help many years ago, for which lithium was prescribed. But it made her extremely lousy memory even worse and so she gave it up. Maybe that wasn't her smartest decision ever? :D

      Delete
    2. Don't know about separated at birth, unless they put me in stasis for a decade or two (but who among us can REALLY KNOW..?), but a kind of soul-mate maybe! :)
      I do cry a lot, but only for sad things. I'm not a happiness-crier. But I have been known to shed a tear for Disney-characters...

      I have a few bipolar friends, you guys make for most interesting company! I've heard that Lithium is almost as bad as the disorder, so I don't blame you for staying off it. I'm only on one side of the spectrum, I have a MDD or chronic depression. I haven't found any medicine to work so I only do therapy.

      Delete
    3. And I forgot: Congratulations on the awards! You are most certainly inspiring, Ms Insomniac. Maybe you just define or measure inspiration differently than others?

      Delete
    4. Oh right - completely forgot about that whole age difference thing ... LOL! Sorry to hear about the MDD - hopefully the therapy is helpful? And thank you for the congratulatory congratulations! :o)

      Delete
  2. Oh, yes...I guess, you understand why is an unfinished 'Insiring Blog Award' post is waiting on my dashboard...I can't handle these thingies either...:/ But I tell you, you totally deserve it! :)

    I can relate to almost all those things you've listed as well; I also have troubles sleeping, especially falling asleep, Disney movies still make me cry, and the good singers on the talent shows too, and I in the same social paradox...I'm also a big eBay addict and an awful hoarder, and I swear way to much, but I can't stand swearing or lousy language either...it pisses me off. But I like pictures...:D

    Anyway...I guess, you have some kind of a build - in magnet on your blog, which attracts people like you...and it's a great thing...an inspiring thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you Lynoire! But you should go ahead and finish that post, because you totally deserve it, too!!

      Oh yeah, talent shows ... the youngest used to lean over during American Idol and say, “Are you CRYING?”. Good times.

      A built-in magnet ... that's a lovely thought, isn't it? A place where we can all get together and support one another while embracing all our little idiosyncrasies which truly make us beautiful people in our own unique ways. Wow, that was very stream-of-consciousness, wasn't it? Should probably just stick to Crafting with the Insomniac posts! LOL!

      Delete
  3. It's nice to read about other peoples ...odd sides :)
    And your blog really is inspiring, you write is such nice ways and words, as you described.
    I swear a lot too! It's a good way of releasing ...hmm, "anger", if you know what I mean ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! Although one will admit this was a difficult post to hit the Publish button on ... But it's lovely to know that you find the blog inspiring!

      And yes, it is an excellent way to relieve tension ... or just to add emphasis to one's everyday conversation. ;o)

      Delete
  4. You are an inspiring blogger and certainly deserve the award. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Nightwind - that's really sweet of you to say! Still would like to delete this whole post though! :P

      Delete
  5. So third time was the charm eh? Everyone does these award thingys at least once. Besides, it's nice to be noticed. Isn't it? And your writing is funny and inspiring so you should have a badge to wear saying so. I mean, if you don't go through life blowing your own trumpet my dear, trust me. No bugger else will do it for you. I've done the legwork on that one.

    I put my tearfulness and bouts of poor sleep down to hormonal decrepitude aka impending menopause. The doctor keeps telling me that's what it is. I can decide if he's telling the truth (yes, I am a sticker for that one too) or its simply the medical default setting when dealing with a patient of a certain age. Maybe the next time he parrots the word "hormones" at me, I should paste him one between the eyes and see if the record changes. What would you advise?

    Regarding public speaking, I'm like a lot of folks in that I can talk myself to a standstill while among friends. Quickest way to shut me up is to shove me up in front of an audience of strangers.

    Congrats on the award Dear Lady.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, third time's a charm ranks right up there with special lucky number 13! And yes, it is nice to be noticed but as blowing one's horn was considered to be one of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sins during one's formative years, it still feels really awkward. :o)

      As for the tearfulness, well that's been around since practically forever, so in the insomniac's case it probably can't be blamed on hormones. Pasting the doc a good one actually sounds like it might be kind of fun!

      Thank you for the congratulations, Ali! And one hopes that your plans (whatever those may be - and the suspense is driving one crazy, BTW) are progressing smoothly! :o)

      Delete
    2. Suspend no more. Hubby has bagged himself a very good job here and we're moving to the Shropshire countryside. Well, not right into the countryside, but far enough away from the urban sprawl to get some peace and quiet. I'm leaving my current job as the commute wouldn't be worth the expense or aggravation on my salary. I consider myself incredibly lucky to even have the choice to not work. Anyway, details on my blog.

      Ali x

      Delete
    3. OMG, that's so exciting! The Shropshire Countryside - that sounds so tranquil, doesn't it? You'll probably get to live in the small thatched-roof cottage the insomniac  has always dreamed of living in, you lucky thing, you!

      Heading over to your blog now to check out all the details! :D

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to your award. You definitely are a true inspiration! I can relate to no. 3 to 6 definitely how I would describe myself definitely the swearing, especially when I'm upset about something. Johan is the sobbing one of us, honestly he weeps to Fab five and Eurovision song contest wich makes me laugh (poor fellow).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linnea-Maria - kind words indeed! And yes, one tends to drop the f-bomb probably more frequently than one ought to. Johan sounds like a gem - you'll have to go easy on him when he tears up. LOL!

      Your last post was very sweet, dear. The insomniac  is so happy you like everything, and can hardly wait to see whatever it is you choose to make of that fabric! In spite of having never met, she considers you a very dear friend as well! xox

      Delete
  7. Well, you don't even have to do anything for the Gargie award, so you can forgive me :P

    I often get stressed before big social events too. I have forcibly transformed myself into an extrovert, but there is still some nervousness underneath.

    Thanks to my boyfriend's bad sleep habits, I am now semi nocturnal. When there is no reason to get up, I go to bed at 2-3 am and wake up at 12 to 1 pm. When I need to get up early I still can't get to bed early!I need to start fixing my sleep patterns.

    Every soppy sad thing totally makes me cry too. I cry in movies about cute animals being reunited with owners, I cry in romantic dramas that I actually hate! I sobbed through at least half of Les Miserables, and forgot my hanky, so my nose was dripping like crazy by the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the insomniac  was going to ask you if you forgave her about the Leibster award, so we'll just call it even, shall we? :o)

      Kudos to you for transforming yourself into an extrovert! Can't even begin to imagine the kind of courage that takes!!

      Good to know about Les Mis. Maybe that's a movie to be watched with the youngest offspring, so she can lean over in the middle of it and say, “Are you CRYING?”. It's our little joke - apparently, she didn't inherit the crying gene from her mother. :P

      Delete
  8. Congratulations you definitely deserve it! I relate to 2 quite a bit. Especially Disney movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caitlin! And congratulations on your award, as well!

      Seriously though, a person would have to be made of stone NOT to cry at a Disney movie, right? ;o)

      Delete
  9. I can definitely relate to number 5. For me, the critical factor is whether I'm the giver or receiver of first contact. The thought of initiating a conversation terrifies me, but I love to help people when they come to me.

    I think you'll just have to face the difficult truth - you're an inspiring blogger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point about being the Giver or Receiver - it is much easier when someone comes to you for help. Probably that's why the insomniac  likes retail so much. Never even thought of that! :P

      Thank you, Bane. It's very kind of you to say so! :o)

      Delete
  10. I'm glad I was the third time your charm! Heh! ... that doesn't sound conceited does it? Anyway...
    You completely deserve it; I visit my mother in august, so we should definitely have tea together-- and I'd really want to despite mirroring the same sentiments of social initiation ;)

    I'd say I relate to more than one, in fact... perhaps knowing that, we won't have much trouble talking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't sound conceited at all, Madame MM! And thank you! :o)

      You're coming up in August - that's so exciting! The house is going up for sale in June, so you might even be able to come for tea here at the Gothic Mansion if it hasn't sold by then! And it will be as dust-free as it's probably ever been, too. :D

      Let's see ... we can talk about sewing and pattern drafting and old books and our social anxieties and ... nope, we shouldn't have any problems whatsoever! LOL!

      Delete
  11. AWESOME. And well-deserved. Your blog is darkly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marie! Darkly gorgeous is possibly the nicest thing you could have said! :o)

      Delete
  12. Number two and five I'm exactly like you. I dont know how many times my boyfriend has asked with laughter in his voice if I'm crying AGAIN, when I'm watching a movie or listen to a song xD I truly avoid seeing sad movies at the cinema.

    And yeah, I'm that socially awkward too..sometimes I have trouble leaving the house because I don't wanna have to face people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely, Lesthi - it's always better to watch the really sad movies in the privacy of your own home! :D

      It does require an effort to leave the house sometimes, but afterwards one always feels better for having done so! :o)

      Delete
  13. You really deserved this award! I always pictured you as a real night owl, blogging while it's still dark, and going to sleep as the sun rises! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Goth Mary Poppins - it's very kind of you to say that!

      Did you also picture the insomniac  attired in the spouse's cast-off Joe Boxer plaid pajama pants and t-shirt with Cereal Killer splashed across the front while doing her midnight blogging? Because that image would likely prevent you from falling back to sleep! :D

      Delete
  14. I think the Insomniac is far too modest.. you totally deserve this award. You're one of the most creative people I've come across online... originally creative to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your incredibly kind words, Mme Polaire! You've got the insomniac  tearing up right now - and not just because she and the youngest have just finished watching Frankenweenie, either! :o)

      Delete
  15. Loved this post - you have such a great personality and way of writing! It's always cool to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GothBarbie! Well, that's definitely good to hear, because the insomniac  was a little worried everybody might have gotten to know her little too  well! LOL

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Awwwww, thank you, Rhonda! That's so sweet of you to say so! :D

      Delete
  17. Oh I love you even more! I had to hold back the tears at my son's open house and I just accept insomnia now. I am yes on 1-5. I cry like a baby and swear like a sailor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You love me! You really love me? I love you too... ❤ :)

      Delete